Friday, May 11, 2007

I am a Lasagna Garden Type Gal.

After four summers of backbreaking work digging beds, and having nowhere to put the sod, I am very intrigued to read that you can make new beds through a process known as Lasagna gardening. With no digging, no tilling and no sod removal. Why didn't I think of this earlier?

Lasagna Gardening 101:

1. Don't remove the sod or do any extra work, like removing weeds or rocks.

2. Mark the area for your garden using a water hose or a long rope to get the desired shape.

3. Cover the area you've marked with wet newspapers, overlapping the edges (5 or more sheets per layer).



4. Cover the paper with one to two inches of peat moss or other organic material.

5. Layer several inches of organic material on top of the peat moss.

6. Continue to alternate layers of peat moss and organic material, until desired thickness is reached.

7. Water until the garden is the consistency of a damp sponge.

8. Plant, plant, plant and mulch, mulch, mulch.

As the layers break down, the earthworms will be eating the sod and breaking up the newspapers, mixing the layers together for you. The final result is an organic, self-tilled soil that's rich and free of disease and weed seeds. It's so simple.

(It is recommended you use a material other than peat moss due to environmental concerns, but you get the picture.)

No tilling, no weeding, no back breaking sod removal. I know this probably horrifies traditional gardeners, but I am all about enjoying the garden. I am already a bit of a mulch addict, so I look forward to trying the lasagna gardening method.

Lasagna Gardening Book

2 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet said...

I tried this method in my greenhouse last year and it worked a treat. I had no weeds and no digging to do. Perfect!

 
At 4:04 AM, Blogger Libbys Blog said...

This seems to be an excellent idea!! I may have to try it. Weeding is soooooo bad for the back!!!!! I love your kitty by the way!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home