Wednesday, January 10, 2007

it's all about the moulding, baby




One of the things that drew me to this house was the wainscotting. Even though the owners had painted the wainscotting PURPLE and in some placed JAIL CELL GREY, I knew that it's all about the mouldings. Even the crown moulding was painted brown. ICK!

It's all about the mouldings. I painted my wainscotting a soft, off white and freshened up all the trim in the house. It makes such a huge difference. I'm have been studying the effects of mouldings on interiors and what a big difference it makes. When homes were built pre-war, elaborate interior mouldings were standard. THen with the housing boom, builders saved money by cutting back on interior trim. Today, we still live with MINIMAL TRIM and it robs us of beautiful interiors.

So BEEF UP YOUR TRIM!



It's especially effective on stairs, giving a great sense of motion:

3 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger suburban mom said...

What beautiful spaces! I love those stairs. And how come you are so adamant that I shouldn't paint my chair? Hmmm? I have to show you pics of other chairs that have been painted.
Crap...who knew a chair could be so complicated????

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

Looks lovely. We live an old Victorian house but are up for sale (too big these days!!).

 
At 4:21 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet said...

What a lovely elegant stairway. Mouldings are very important, they are the icing on the interior cake. Without it, houses look so bland.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home