Wednesday, January 03, 2007

health kick de jour


Okay, I'm on a new kick.

No, I'm not running. I have a few too many postural problems for running just now.

Okay, my new kick is to get the best pedometer money can buy (Yamax), strap it on every day and break 10,000 steps. I was shocked to find out how little I move. How does 2300 steps strike you? Not too good. 2300 steps is not doing a lot for the old body and may be behind the postural problems and pain issues I've been having.

It's really, really hard to work up to 10,000 steps (5 miles minimum) but I'm going to do it. I think that if I aim for this every day, it would be better than sitting around all day and then driving to the gym and doing a half hour of cardio three times a week (on a good week).

Okay. Posture. I'm wondering if anybody has experienced problems with the following:

- anterior pelvic tilt
- tight hamstrings
- locked knee stance
- tight hip flexors (too much sitting)
- tight rectus abdominus (too many crunches)
- weak core
- forward head
- rounded shoulders
- pronating feet
- scoliosis
- one hip higher

Help! Anybody deal with postural problems and if so, how have you overcome them?

3 Comments:

At 7:37 PM, Blogger suburban mom said...

Nope, none of those. But I have been having this weird pain shooting down my leg lately that is worrying me.

Have you tried Pilates? It's all about the core you know. I'm not super crazy about pilates, but so many people love it.

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

Sorry not been around for ages.
You know when i was little my mum, who was almost 6 foot tall, (incredible for a woman born in 1913) .. well she always said to me 'Hold your shoulders back, walk tall!! how i wish I'd listened. Years of having my head in a book and leaning over a computer desk and I am getting really round shouldered... at age 57!!
Keep up with the posture stuff.... We walk miles but I must keep thinking of my mum and "walk tall:!!

 
At 4:24 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet said...

Julia,

I think you're on teh right track, walking is the best exercise and is very low risk as far as injuries are concerned. I've been walking all my life, 10,000 steps per day or more is normal for me. It keeps me fit and slim.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home