Wednesday, November 01, 2006

dishes

About a month ago, the dishwasher broke. One of many things that are always breaking. I mean, it didn't break, it just leaks water. Not good. Since we are planning on selling the house, I tend to view these little maintenance issues as ammunition. The house is trying to get us. It's a money pit. I tend not to be too proactive about getting things fixed, but think instead "Is that all you've got, house? A little leak from the dishwasher?"

"What's next" is usually my last thought before drifting off at night. This home ownership business is definitely over-rated. I'm thinking condo, myself... but I digress.

So, since the dishwasher broke, and since I refuse on moral grounds to fix yet another thing wrong with this house, a funny thing has happened. The kitchen stays clean. Really clean.

I wash dishes as soon as they get dirty. It takes hardly any time at all. It's faster than loading and unloading that horrible dishwasher and as an added bonus the counters and stove stays clean.

You know how when you use the dishwasher, you don't need a soapy cloth, right? So the counters don't quite get the attention they need. When I do dishes by hand, I am constantly wiping the counter, the stove, the fridge, etc.

It's amazing. The kitchen is so much cleaner and it takes much less effort to keep it that way. Who knew?

2 Comments:

At 12:12 AM, Blogger suburban mom said...

Why are you selling your house? where are you moving to? and yeah, sometimes when things break or disappear, it's a blessing in disguise.

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

research condo before you seriously think about it - if you aren't familiar with the laws and insurance considerations . . .

and I really understand your comment on cleaning! funny how those little changes occur at times ;)

I am trying to let my tweens do the cleaning so they can learn - there is a lot of redoing, but less and less as they learn - however, it does stress me out at times to "let it go" for the greater good! LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home