Thursday, August 03, 2006

out of commission


Okay. I haven't been posting or writing because for the past few months I have been going through a pain crisis. I dont' know what it is, although I suspect my pain has a lot to do with an old whiplash injury I sustained when I was 20. A very, very bad auto accident, one in which I should have been killed, but was not.

I haven't had a lot of pain for 13 years. I could work, exercise, shop, cook, garden... you name it. Now something has happened to my neck. Something bad. Maybe a disc they say, MRI shows arthritis. Physio thinks I may have rheumatoid arthritis. Yikes.

I am in constant pain. I can't drive. Can't shop. Can't clean. Can't cook. Can't go to school. I am screwed.

I am seeing chiropractor three times a week, massage twice a week and physio once a week. That's five appointments a week, like a full time job. My pain is unrelenting. Every day. Painful spasms, joint pain in my neck. Just typing this is killing me.

I have to stay off of the computer for a while. My pain may be postural. Repetitive strain in the neck and shoulders. Sigh.

For those of you that can walk and jog and cook for your family, those of you who shop and laugh and go out for dinner and never think twice.... count your lucky stars. Take full advantage of living a full life. I took for granted everything I was able to do before this pain started. I never thought twice about camping. Travelling. Driving. Riding a bike. Jogging. Going to the beach. Taking a long walk. I can't do those things now and I miss them.

10 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, Blogger Kel said...

oh dear! I hope you feel better soon!

don't forget to ask for someone to review your house, work station etc.

I had chronic headaches at work and finally had my terminal monitor raised 6" to accomodate my height and the headaches went (mostly) away -

make sure you ask to have your living spaces accomodated for you!

also, my DH "broke" his neck in HS and found that strenghthening the upper back and neck muscles help manage the pain around the disc area

AND - check on that chiro - I don't know a single reputable chiro that requires 3X a week visits !

All my best!

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger suburban mom said...

oh my. I am so sorry. I know. We take our health for granted up until we don't have it anymore.
I don't know what to say. I feel so badly. Just know your internet friend is thinking of you.

I know. When it's possible. You and hubs should come out to SF. I will give you a personal tour of the beautiful city on the bay :)

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Julia said...

Thank you guys, for your kind comments.

Kel -- I often don't realise how many other people have pain issues such as your migraines or your husband's broken neck. I agree with you that the strengthening of upper back and neck muscles should help. I also agree with the Chiropractor issue... x3 weekly?

Katherine, thanks, I would love to see SF one day. It's on my list, as is Italy!

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger msdramateacherlady said...

Oh my! I am sorry to hear about your pain. I hope some relief is found soon.

I once saw a chiropractor 3x a week, but that was only in the beginning. After a couple of weeks we went to once a week. So, perhaps the Dr. is trying to relieve some of the pain and then will back off a bit. Maybe?

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

popped over from Suburban Housewife's blog...My hubby has suffered with a chronic illness for 2 yrs and its amazing all the things we take for granted when we have health....praying for you...don't know if you believe in prayer but I'll pray anyways...:)
BTW...as for your last post...I think taking your hubby's name symbolizes 2 becoming 1...not putting you in a lower position...just an equal one...and it means a lot to our husbands to be "the head" even if we know better sometimes. :)

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

Sorry, I meant i came over from Lost in Surburbia...shhh don;t tell Katherine I forgot her site name...:)

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger SpAzzGiRL said...

Hope you feel better soon.
Sometimes it is things like this that make you appreciate the little things as cliche as that sounds. I have been having arm numbness and was told no more typing (oops) and thought no problem...forgot about all the other things I use my right arm for!
Take care of yourself!

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger curious servant said...

Heavenly Father... please touch this child of Yours... bless her, heal her. If there are lessons for her here, teach her and heal her so she may bring you glory and praise. Heal herr so she may do Your work, sing Your praises. Give her doctors wisdom, give her family patience and understanding. Draw near to her Lord so she may feel yYour presence, Your love. --Amen.

 
At 1:42 AM, Blogger Gina said...

Feel better soon. I'm so very sorry.

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger suburban mom said...

hey - how are you doing?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home