Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Milk, anyone?

Okay, I'm on a green rant again. Apologies in advance.

I know, I know, you can't avoid pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, bovine-growth hormones...

Wait.

You CAN (and should) avoid bovine growth hormone. It's banned in Canada. It's banned in the U.K. It's not banned in the U.S.A. and it is bad news, people.

I am not a big fan of milk to start with. Especially cow's milk, whose original intended function in nature was to take a 100 pound calf and turn it into a 1600 pound heifer or steer. Do you want to be a heifer? No. I didn't think so.

Pure, natural "good for you" cow's milk (even without bovine growth hormone) contains Insulin-Like Growth Factor-1. This hormone results in rapid cell growth and is intended to turn a calf into a cow. Period. That's it's function. Now the last thing I need is to any kind of growth spurt. I do not need rapid cell growth. In fact, that sounds like a decidedly bad thing to me. When you add Bovine Growth Hormone, you quadruple this hormone.

People. Milk is a HUGE industry. A multi-billion dollar industry. Complete with quotas, overstocks and massive advertising campaigns urging you to drink more, more, more.

It is in the best interest of big business and government milk boards for us all to drink our milk. It is not necessarily in your best interest to drink milk. Hate me if you must, but I think I'm onto something here.

Don't take my word for it! If you are (shudder) feeding BGH milk to your kids, please try to find out a little bit about it. Perhaps buy milk without it or even wean them off of it. Even a heifer gets weaned off of milk!

Ask for Organic Milk instead of a Starbucks Bovine Growth Hormone Latte!


Press Release: Starbucks Still Serving Up Coffee Drinks Laced with Bovine Growth Hormone

Lecture over!

7 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger Kel said...

we buy organic hormone free milk - many people I know purchase goat milk as an option as well -

it is $5.99 a gallon, and at 2 gallons per week - I spend more on organic food than I do my mortgage! It is insane that we have to go to such lengths to keep our kids healthy!

oh, and we don't eat red meat - or much meat at all -

and forget about soy - over just 8 oz. a day you are messing with your estrogen levels -

and I use to drink Earl Grey tea until I learned the bergamot (sp?) inhibits the absorption of calcium

we must keep educating ourselves

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Julia said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Julia said...

Kel... You're my hero. You're way ahead of me and I'm happy to hear it!

Good tip about the goat's milk. I was tested for intolerance and cow's milk came back as an intolerance, but goat's milk was fine. I should buy goat even though it's more expensive.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Kel said...

hey - thanks for adding the bit about Starbucks too! I never have milk in my coffe (it chemically binds and is hard to digest) but do let my girls get "steamers" on occassion!

I will start bitching my way up and down the coast as we travel!

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger suburban mom said...

Totally agree girlfriend.

I actually went about 3 years of not drinking any milk at all. It was after I read an article about the "puss limits" in milk and all this other crap. I still don't drink a lot.

I think I'm going to link to your post from my blog.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Thank you!!!! I have been sharing these exact thoughts for years. People are finally hearing -- and you are helping.
:-)

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

"Do you want to be a heifer? No. I didn't think so." Hee Hee. :-) Good info! I'm a soy/rice milk girl myself- goes back to my old vegan days and I've preferred it ever since.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home